Author Topic: Cannot connect to Meade LS6"  (Read 6644 times)

Offline Marco Satta

• Welcome to the Satellite Tracker Forum
Cannot connect to Meade LS6"
« on: December 25, 2014, 04:41:11 AM »
Good day,
I just downloaded the software, and I cannot connect to my Meade LS6"
this scope does not have an RS232 interface, but it connects directly to the USB.

I can connect and successfully control the scope with via the ascom platform to various other programs.

Is there a work around to connect via the ascom platform instead?

thanks and best regards
Marco

Offline John Eccles

• Owner of Satellite Tracker and Yahoo Satellite Tracker
  • Administrator
    • Satellite Tracker
Re: Cannot connect to Meade LS6"
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2014, 04:56:48 AM »
Marco,

The only method of communications with Satellite Tracker is via a serial port. There is no USB connectivity for the time being. I can add this to the todo list though. There is also no ASCOM driver for Satellite Tracker either and this is another todo list item. Your only option, at this time, is to communicate via a serial port. This is the current state of this application when I purchased it from the previous developer.

John
Regards, John Eccles, Owner of Satellite Tracker Application, the Satellite Tracker Forum, and the Yahoo Groups called Satellite Tracker

Offline Dick Seymour

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2014, 10:45:32 AM »
The LS6 interface resembles a COM port to the PC (it's almost like using a USB-serial adapter)...
BUT: the firmware stack in the LS6 requires assertion of DTR/RTS on the PC side.
You don't need to toggle them, merely assert them.

good luck
--dick
p.s. it's been a few years since i looked at this... i know DTR is required, i can't 100% remember if it's RTS (i think so) or CTS that's also required.
p.p.s. Yes, i know those are (in the old days) hardware control signals on a "real" serial port, but Meade bought some 3rd party's USB firmware, and those "signals" need to be set "on" in the PC's view of such things.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2014, 10:52:32 AM by Dick Seymour »

Offline Marco Satta

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2014, 03:10:31 AM »
Hey Dick,
Thanks for the reply, I have both CTS and RDS force-enabled on com9,  this is the 'virtual' port I use to communicate to the LS6" I do all the communication via the ASCOM platform,  using the ETX-beta driver (from the ETX-LS Yahoo group) this driver is a modified version of the 497 driver, and enable to control the Meade LS scopes with all kinds of astro-software.
for example I can pulse guide it with PHD2 or plate-solve and re-position with AT.
Without this driver, the LS is kind of a "dead-stick"

Any way Satellite Tracker try to talk directly to the com port and it does not succeed.
An ASCOM interface should be nice, because it add also the possibility to share the com interface via the POTHUB with other programs as well.

Best regards
Marco

Offline John Eccles

• Administrator
    • Satellite Tracker
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2014, 03:18:13 PM »
If you do some research using, for example, Google, for LS6 information you will find various reports by other users about the communications for the LS6. The gist of some of those conversations is that the LS6 uses some of the LX200GPS commands but most have found erratic operation doing so. If you have the full command set for the LS6 I could take a look at it and make a new entry for it in Satellite Tracker. I have been unable to located the full command set, or any command set for that matter, for the LS6. Maybe you can write or contact Meade in some manner and tell them what you need and maybe they will supply it to you since you do own the LS6 where I do not own that here.
Regards, John Eccles, Owner of Satellite Tracker Application, the Satellite Tracker Forum, and the Yahoo Groups called Satellite Tracker

Offline Marco Satta

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2014, 05:27:09 PM »
Hi John,

A think I had the meade command set but I cannot readily found it, I will search for it again.

I can point you to the source code of the ETX-LS beta driver I use (if it can help).
As I mentioned in the previous post, this driver works nicely without problems with all the programs I have tried.
It is an ASCOM driver, and I do not know if it can help.

The source code files can be downloaded in the file section of the ETX-LS yahoo group here
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/ETX-LS/files

you must join the group to download.

Thanks and best regards
Marco

Offline Marco Satta

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2014, 05:37:18 PM »
Found it :)

here it is attached

Offline Dick Seymour

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2014, 12:51:24 PM »
...and here the 2012 update to the Meade protocol document...

Beware that the LS6's command set has some bugs and omissions.
(i can't recall if they implement the :RA and :RE commands, needed for SatTrack's continuous mode)

--dick

Offline Marco Satta

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2015, 02:57:56 AM »
Hi John, good day.
did you have any chances to check this out?

best regards
Marco

Offline John Eccles

• Administrator
    • Satellite Tracker
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2015, 07:31:14 AM »
Marco,

I have not had a chance to look into this at all. As you know I am in the process of moving so all work on the Satellite Tracker project has come to a halt. Please re-read my previous post about doing a search in the Yahoo Group message file that is located in the Archived Messages section of this forum. There may be information in there to help you.

If you look at the two Protocol documents that you provided as attachments in your two previous messages I think you can see that the LS6 is not included in those documents. You provided the LX-200 Command Set which I already have and is already incorporated into the Satellite Tracker software. As I indicated before, I need the LS6 documentation for the Command Set that it uses. So if you can locate that specific document then it may shed some light as to why it does not talk to the Satellite Tracker program.  If you re-read the posts in this thread I think you will find that the LS6 is really not supported by the Satellite Tracker program. I have put this on my todo list but I have not done any work on this.

John
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 07:41:35 AM by John Eccles »