Author Topic: Where is the search option?  (Read 108 times)

Offline Tom Gregorski

• Welcome to the Satellite Tracker Forum
Where is the search option?
« on: October 27, 2018, 10:44:24 AM »
Hi Guys,

I am trying this software and so far I had success with updating the lists of the satellites. However, I can not find any radio amateur satellites in the list/ E.g. SO-50 (CAS or other are missing too)  is not there. I do not see any Search filled where I could put the satellite name or Catalog number or even international designator. 

I suspect that the downloaded file is corrupted (or there is something wrong with the format) since all sat. names start with 0 (zero)

The downloaded list contains over 17000 satellites but does not contains any of these that I am interested in. I guess I have to configure some script to download the list of the specific satellites. I run program called GPredict which does a good job downloading the updates and predicting passes but is not capable of moving the Celestron CGEM mount. Apparently it works only with Linux and some home brewed mounts/rotators. I do not want to learn anything about Linux, hence my interest in ST.

Anyway, I appreciate any help with this. I have time over this weekend I would like to get ST working or at least assess feasibility of ST against my needs.

Thank you!

Tom

Offline John Eccles

• Owner of Satellite Tracker and Yahoo Satellite Tracker
  • Administrator
    • Satellite Tracker
Re: Where is the search option?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2018, 06:07:33 PM »
Try looking at the information contained at this link:

http://www.satobs.org/tletools.html

I have not had any experience with tracking amateur satellites using this software so I don't know how to help on that. You can try a Google search as I did for "amateur radio satellite TLE data" and the like. Some of the cube sats may be impossible to see with any clarity using your telescope. I am not sure what your objective actually is. If you are trying to mount an antenna on your mount to track the satellite for communication with it then that is one thing.

Anyway, hope this helps. Right now I am on travel and am in Raleigh, NC so I don't really have the time to delve into this any further.
Regards, John Eccles, Owner of Satellite Tracker Application, the Satellite Tracker Forum, and the Yahoo Groups called Satellite Tracker

Offline Tom Gregorski

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2018, 04:52:24 PM »
Hi John,

Thank you for your reply. I will definitely look into this. I was under impression that the amateur sats would be there. 
I will let you know how it goes.

Tom

Offline Tom Gregorski

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2018, 05:17:28 PM »
Hi John,

I have found this and it looks good once opened in the software.

https://www.amsat.org/tle/current/nasabare.txt

OK, I have tested it today and it seems to be working. The UTC time zone was wrong I put -5 and it should be -4.  Pretty cool, now I have to put an antenna on it and I should be good to go. I have compared satellite positions against GPredict and they looked the same to me. Message to the "future generations": I used Celestron AVX mount with the latest firmware as of Oct 2018.
(There was a moment where the mount started moving back after the satellite has set. I do not know what it was but pressing Stop Tracking took care of it.)

I have to take it outside and test it in the field. the living room testing went OK.

Tom
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 06:03:54 PM by Tom Gregorski »