Author Topic: Download TLE file failed  (Read 4180 times)

Offline Guangwei Wu

• Welcome to the Satellite Tracker Forum
Download TLE file failed
« on: November 01, 2015, 10:50:29 AM »
I use satellite tracker 2.61 and found when I download TLE throught the botton, the file size is zero.
Then I execute iridium.bat and other batch file in command line and I thought it is a name and password problem.
How to solve it ?
And I suggest use Celestrak.com integrated without name and password.

Thank you very much.

Offline John Eccles

• Owner of Satellite Tracker and Yahoo Satellite Tracker
  • Administrator
    • Satellite Tracker
Re: Download TLE file failed
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2015, 05:40:59 PM »
Did you read the file called ReadmeWget.txt and perform the operations indicated in the instructions of that file? You have to obtain login information with Spacetrack.org before you can obtain TLE data. I would first verify that you can actually login to Spacetrack.org and can actually download the TLE data accordingly. Once you ascertain that you have accessibility with Spacetrack.org and you have edited your batch files as per the instructions contained in ReadmeWget.txt then you should be able to download the TLE data from within the Satellite Tracker application. If your TLE data size is 0 bytes then you are having a problem accessing correctly the Spacetrack.org website. Once you place your spacetrack.org user name and password in the respective .bat file you will no longer need to load that name and password again since it is now stored in the batch file. To edit the batch file select the batch file then right click the mouse button on that file and choose "Edit" in the drop down box. Then edit the file replacing USERNAME with your Spacetrack.org username and PASSWORD with your Spacetrack.org password. Save the file and then exit. Make sure that you use the exact username and password that you used to successfully log into Spacetrack.org account. You only have to do this once for each batch file.

The "Open TLE" button is meant to only open TLE files and not read Read Me files. So you will get an error since the data in a Readme file is not formatted correctly. You should open the ReadMe file with notepad.

The all data file should load but if you are at a slow internet connection you just have to wait for it to complete. It is a large file and takes time to download. You should see a DOS window popup and in that window you should see the progress of the download. Just be patient and it will complete. While downloading the application is halted until the download is complete so you can't do anything until the download is completed.

I have previously used CelesTrak.com before but you will find a larger selection of TLE data at Spacetrack.org.
Regards, John Eccles, Owner of Satellite Tracker Application, the Satellite Tracker Forum, and the Yahoo Groups called Satellite Tracker

Offline Zykov Vladislav

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2016, 02:37:18 AM »
Spacetrack.org no longer works. where now download TLE files? To replace a good site: http://www.tle.info/. You can rewrite the * .bat files for this site.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 09:09:51 AM by Zykov Vladislav »

Offline John Eccles

• Administrator
    • Satellite Tracker
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2016, 10:26:08 AM »
I just used spacetrak.org to download stations.txt and a few others and it worked okay for me this morning. There appears to be a certificate error but it is just a warning and does not prevent the TLE from downloading successfully.  See the attached picture of the actual download that shows success.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 10:37:24 AM by John Eccles »
Regards, John Eccles, Owner of Satellite Tracker Application, the Satellite Tracker Forum, and the Yahoo Groups called Satellite Tracker

Offline Nic Mcmilan

• Drone Quad Flying
Re: Download TLE file failed - Sep 2018
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2018, 06:05:52 PM »
It's Sep 2018, how you guys getting your TLE's?
I am using ST2.6.1.

1. I can manually log into space track.org and manually d/l tle, then save each file, a little pain but the only way I get files at the moment.
2. For me the ST download does not work, it creates 0KB files.
3. TLEretriver also d/l files that are 0KB
4. Using "wgetdata.bat, after reading the readme and setting up my known working username and password in that file, it runs, closes the dos window and no files show up. I even logged into spacetrack first, same. I cant read what the dos window flashes up.

Thanks!

Offline John Eccles

• Administrator
    • Satellite Tracker
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2018, 07:45:23 PM »
I just now executed my batch files to get the TLE data and my current batch files work okay. I was able to get the latest TLE data without any problems. Please review your edits and be sure that each line in the original file is a full line in the edited file. You may have had a wrap around on a long line as a result of your edit and this will mess up the download.

Offline Jimmy Andrews

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2018, 08:50:03 AM »
Setup visual tle download part 1 of 2
Hello OZ

The bottom 6 lines are from my visual.bat file
Delete the 10 X's and replace with your Space-Track Login Name
Delete the 10 Y's and replace with your Space-Track Password
Notice that I added a PAUSE to allow viewing Space-Track's response for troubleshooting.
After you are happy all is working ok, you can remove the PAUSE command
Jimmy

"wget1pt15.exe" --no-check-certificate --post-data "identity=XXXXXXXXXX&password=YYYYYYYYYY" --keep-session-cookies --save-cookies=cookies.txt https://www.space-track.org/ajaxauth/login -o login.txt

"wget1pt15.exe" --no-check-certificate --keep-session-cookies --load-cookies=cookies.txt -O visual.txt "https://www.space-track.org/basicspacedata/query/class/tle_latest/ORDINAL/1/EPOCH/now-30--now/orderby/NORAD_CAT_ID/format/3le/favorites/Visible"

pause

del login
del login.txt
del cookies.txt

Offline Jimmy Andrews

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2018, 08:52:24 AM »
Setup visual tle download part 2 of 2
Hello OZ

I had added a PAUSE command to my visual.bat file to allow viewing the following for troubleshooting
The lines at bottom are from Space-Track's response to running my visual.bat file
The X's and Y's should be your Space-Track's login/password
Jimmy

C:\SatTkr>"wget1pt15.exe" --no-check-certificate --post-data "identity=XXXXXXXXXX&password=YYYYYYYYYY" --keep-session-cookies --save-cookies=cookies.txt http
s://www.space-track.org/ajaxauth/login -o login.txt

C:\SatTkr>"wget1pt15.exe" --no-check-certificate --keep-session-cookies --load-cookies=cookies.txt -O visual.txt "https://www.space-track.org/basicspacedata/query/cl
ass/tle_latest/ORDINAL/1/EPOCH/now-30--now/orderby/NORAD_CAT_ID/format/3le/favorites/Visible"
--2018-09-16 07:28:00--  https://www.space-track.org/basicspacedata/query/class/tle_latest/ORDINAL/1/EPOCH/now-30--now/orderby/NORAD_CAT_ID/format/3le/favorites/Visi
ble
Resolving www.space-track.org (www.space-track.org)... 207.178.144.234
Connecting to www.space-track.org (www.space-track.org)|207.178.144.234|:443... connected.
WARNING: cannot verify www.space-track.org's certificate, issued by '/C=US/ST=Arizona/L=Scottsdale/O=GoDaddy.com, Inc./OU=http://certs.godaddy.com/repository//CN=Go
Daddy Secure Certificate Authority - G2':
  Self-signed certificate encountered.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 31271 (31K) [text/plain]
Saving to: 'visual.txt'

100%[===========================================================================================================================>] 31,271      --.-K/s   in 0.08s

2018-09-16 07:28:01 (399 KB/s) - 'visual.txt' saved [31271/31271]

C:\SatTkr>pause
Press any key to continue . . .