Author Topic: "Leap Frog" in NEQ6 mount  (Read 3042 times)

Offline Xingwei Xie

• Welcome to the Satellite Tracker Forum
"Leap Frog" in NEQ6 mount
« on: August 31, 2015, 10:05:40 AM »
Hi,John:
  This is Xingwei, talk to you again.
  Last time in March, you told me if I use Sat Tracker(In Nexstar 5/8 mode) to directly drive NEQ6 Mount, the “leap frog” will happen.
  Therefore, I changed the way. I chose LX200GPS mode (in option “Polor”), and transformed the tracking command from Sat Tracker into ASCOM mode (using the EQMODLX, an open source project), and my NEQ6 mount could be driven smoothly, and the tracking position is correct too.

But, I found another problem:
  When I chose to track low orbit satellites(say, orbit altitude less than 1400km),if the target flied over right above, the “leap frog” happen again!
  I thought the cause for this problem is that ASCOM protocel does not provide enough tracking rate levels, if the target flied too fast(like the low orbit satellites over right above), the EQMODLX(using ASCOM protocel) can not output suitable track rate, the “leap frog” happened.

So, I wonder that have you come accoss such problem? Or some of your user has? How you solved this problem?

If there’s no easy solution, I think I have to modify the EQMODLX program to directly output smooth tracking rate, that is to say, ASCOM needs to be replaced in the program. And this will cost a lot of time and energy, that is the worst case.

Best Regards
Xingwei

Offline John Eccles

• Owner of Satellite Tracker and Yahoo Satellite Tracker
  • Administrator
    • Satellite Tracker
Re: "Leap Frog" in NEQ6 mount
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 10:54:26 AM »
If you would like to get more insight on the "leap frog" operation I would suggest that you download a copy of the Yahoo Group Archived Messages located on this forum and do a search for the words leap frog. In doing that you will gain the history of discussions about the leap frog mode with various mounts.

Better yet, do a search of that document for NEQ6 and you will find some information that may be helpful to you as well. There is a discussion on the setup similar to what you are using.

Right now I am in the process of completing a move to a new location. All my stuff is in boxes in storage. I do not have a setup available at the moment. I hope to start settling in but I am not sure how long I will be staying here before I move again. This next move is going to be my last move as I can no longer handle moving around anymore. At that time I will be setting up my lab and observation site.
Regards, John Eccles, Owner of Satellite Tracker Application, the Satellite Tracker Forum, and the Yahoo Groups called Satellite Tracker

Offline Xingwei Xie

• Welcome to the Satellite Tracker Forum
Re: "Leap Frog" in NEQ6 mount
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 11:23:00 AM »
Allright, John:
    Wish you settle down ASAP and setup your lab.
    I'll check message, thanks
Xingwei