Author Topic: Celestron EQ8  (Read 3140 times)

Offline Colm Brazel

• Welcome to the Satellite Tracker Forum
Celestron EQ8
« on: July 22, 2015, 11:08:00 AM »
Hi,

I'm trying to get Satellite Tracker to work with Celestron EQ8 mount. For which I set up a single port with HW Virtual Port, then use EQMOD LX to connect to Ascom. This succeeds but when I then try to connect Satellite Tracker to its com port using correct procedures for this and previous steps, I get message , 'unable to connect to telescope'.

Note in above I'm testing with Ascom simulator. There may be another obstacle getting this to work connecting to the mount through its Synscan hand controller using its PC Direct utility function.

Also  link I got for satellite tracker yahoo group no longer works as I get message 'you do not have permission to access' when I try it. Cant find current link for the group.

Anyone suggest any fix for this.

thanks

Colm

Offline John Eccles

• Owner of Satellite Tracker and Yahoo Satellite Tracker
  • Administrator
    • Satellite Tracker
Re: Celestron EQ8
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2015, 11:38:52 AM »
To get to the Yahoo Group using the provided link on the website you have to be logged into Yahoo using the username that you used for the Satellite Tracker group.

The Satellite Tracker application is not ASCOM compatible. You will have to setup the serial port on your computer to match the selected serial port on the Satellite Tracker application.
Regards, John Eccles, Owner of Satellite Tracker Application, the Satellite Tracker Forum, and the Yahoo Groups called Satellite Tracker

Offline Colm Brazel

• Welcome to the Satellite Tracker Forum
Re: Celestron EQ8
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2015, 01:49:32 PM »
Hi,

STr works with  MEADELXGPS protocol and EQmodLX was designed to work with that protocol  and allow commands to flow through EQMOD through EQmodLX to STr but I cant get it to work.

Anyway prompted by your post quick test and appears I can connect to mount with those nexstar protocols.

Also appears I can connect my gamepad.

Then I start tracking but scope doesn't respond for some reason. Am I missing a step here.

Only time for Quick test and I'll look at manual later but are there good settings to use with CdC or stellarium to use those in conjunction with STr?

Also re yahoo group I can access my other groups but not Str yahoo group, do you have url for its homepage to enter password, can't find its homepage for some reason.

Cheers,

Colm