Author Topic: Difficulties with my joystick to center a satellite  (Read 727 times)

Offline Jacques Ardissone

• Welcome to the Satellite Tracker Forum
Difficulties with my joystick to center a satellite
« on: February 18, 2019, 09:01:06 AM »
Hello everybody,
Im am a new user of Satellite Tracker 2.5.0 on Windows 8.1.

When I see (75% of my tests) a satellite in the 9 x 50 finderscope, it passes approximately near the center of the field but it continues, then the mount try to bring it back toward the center but not very well, and do this 3 or 4 times, alternatively; finally I loose the satellite.

The joystick I use everyday to center a target instead a hand controller, doesn''t work while tracking a satellite or works wrong, its behaviour is very surprising.

May I install a second joystick linked with Satellite Tracker and how to do that?

Thanks for your answer,

Jacques
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 09:03:09 AM by Jacques Ardissone »

Re: Difficulties with my joystick to center a satellite
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2019, 09:33:18 AM »
Complement:
Telescope C 11 on EQ6 mount - EQMOD + Joystick - HWPS3 - EQMODLX- Satellite Tracker 2.5.0 Protocole LX 200 GPS polar mode, Joystick control selected

Offline John Eccles

• Owner of Satellite Tracker and Yahoo Satellite Tracker
  • Administrator
    • Satellite Tracker
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2019, 10:58:01 AM »
I am hoping that someone who is using a joystick can chime in on this. I currently do not have access to the hardware or software since everything is packed up and I am in the process of settling down to a new home. Have you read the user manual? It is located on the forum under the Topic "User Manual". Read section 1.0, 2.0, 8.0 (all), and 9.0 (all) which tells you about usage of your telescope including tracking. Go to section 10.13 and read that section about the Joystick operation. There is a lot of good information there. Hope this helps.

For newbies it is suggested that you read the entire User Manual. This manual is a work in progress but for what is written there is plenty of very good information to familiarize the newbie on the operation of Satellite Tracker with various telescopes.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 11:07:33 AM by John Eccles »
Regards, John Eccles, Owner of Satellite Tracker Application, the Satellite Tracker Forum, and the Yahoo Groups called Satellite Tracker

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2019, 11:32:32 AM »
Thanks, John, for your answer.
I already read the notice and I understand that the joystick assigned to the mount, replacing the hand controller,  may be not effective when tracking; Satellite Tracker needs its own joystick.
How to do that? How it will recognize the good joystick fot adjustments.
Regards,
Jacques

« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 12:48:52 PM by Jacques Ardissone »

Offline John Eccles

• Administrator
    • Satellite Tracker
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2019, 01:33:58 PM »
Since I am at a disadvantage not having hardware available and do not have a working system at this time and no access to the software I cannot answer your question. If your computer can support multiple joysticks (and that is the only way Satellite Tracker can have its own joystick) you can plug in another joystick and select which one you want to use when you go to select the joystick in Satellite Tracker. If your computer can only have one joystick connected then that is the joystick that Satellite Tracker will have to use.

Please bear in mind that I have many, many users who use joysticks and I have had no reported problems. I had one user who made a request for a joystick mod and I did update the joystick software to accommodate that request. The joystick and tracking need to be adjusted properly and the telescope needs to be properly aligned before you can have successful operation tracking and assistance with the joystick during tracking. It is imperative that you read, understand, and adjust the joystick interface and the telescope as per what is written in section 10.13 of the User Manual.
Regards, John Eccles, Owner of Satellite Tracker Application, the Satellite Tracker Forum, and the Yahoo Groups called Satellite Tracker

Offline Jimmy Andrews

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2019, 10:31:21 PM »

You can check your joystick connection to Satellite Tracker without connecting to telescope.

All you need to test is a
Joystick and a computer running Satellite Tracker

I connect my wireless joystick transceiver to USB port on computer
Start Satellite Tracker
Check mark in box for ''Joystick Adjust'' bottom right
May need to restart Satellite Tracker  not sure, mine stays checked always.
Moving the joystick will change the
Timing Offset (sec) and
Alignment Adjustment (steps)

If no change
Restart  Satellite Tracker
Try another joystick

Once you get this working you are almost finished.

The final settings will need to be adjusted when tracking a satellite.
Find a satellite that is moving slow and move it around with joystick or buttons on Satellite Tracker

If the satellite moves around too slow or too fast

Click ''Options""
Click ''Preferences''

Adjust the
''Timing Offset increments Coarse and fine'' to speed up or slow down Satellite movement
''Alignment Adjustment Increments'' to speed up or slow down Satellite movement

These adjustments will need to adjusted for a joystick and/or using Satellite Tracker's buttons.
Any changes are immediately active, no need to close window until you are happy with speeds.

Jimmy
My ISS movies
http://jimmyjujames.com

Our Big-Bang may have been the creation of a Black-Hole and
 our Universe exist inside this Black-Hole.
Galaxies are being accelerated toward the outer massive Schwarzschild radius

As always, I may be wrong again.

Offline John Eccles

• Administrator
    • Satellite Tracker
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2019, 08:33:04 PM »
Thank you Jimmy for chiming in on this subject. It is greatly appreciated.

Offline Brad Feinner

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2019, 12:36:58 PM »
This thread is a bit old by now, but I want to mention that I've been using a joystick for years. At first I used a complicated one such as you would use for flight simulations, but I was frequently pressing wrong buttons and messing things up. Now I use a USB version of the old Atari 2600 joystick. It's a simple joystick, so I rarely press anything wrong. It does have a start/stop button on it, so you have to be careful about when you press it, but that would be the case with any joystick. I also want to say that sometimes the directions on the joystick don't always agree with the direction the object moves. When that happens, I just rotate the joystick until the directions agree. Maybe that's stating the obvious, but I thought it might not be. Anyway, this joystick is available on Amazon, and probably on Ebay and other places. It's inexpensive.

Offline John Eccles

• Administrator
    • Satellite Tracker
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2019, 11:14:24 AM »
Thank you for sharing your experiences. It is greatly appreciated.