Author Topic: Nexstar 8SE Supported?  (Read 6093 times)

Offline Chris Epple

• Welcome to the Satellite Tracker Forum
Nexstar 8SE Supported?
« on: July 11, 2014, 02:37:00 PM »
Hello,
Thanks for taking over Satellite Tracker. I've enjoyed using it in the past with a Nexstar11GPS.

I now have a Nexstar 8SE and would like to use it. i tried several different Celestron telescopes for the telescope selection, but have not had any luck. Is the 8SE support yet?

thanks,

Chris

Offline John Eccles

• Owner of Satellite Tracker and Yahoo Satellite Tracker
  • Administrator
    • Satellite Tracker
Re: Nexstar 8SE Supported?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 10:17:26 PM »
Chris,

Yes, I believe the Nexstar 8SE should work. Under the menu bar item Telescope and the drop down called Interface, select the second one from the bottom called Nexstar 5/8. I believe that should do it for you.

John
Regards, John Eccles, Owner of Satellite Tracker Application, the Satellite Tracker Forum, and the Yahoo Groups called Satellite Tracker

Offline Chris Epple

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 01:50:00 AM »
Hi John,

I didn't have any luck using the Nexstar 5/8 setting. It would connect to the scope OK. but when I went to track an object, The scope didn't move and showed a slew limit warning. I confirmed the slew limits were 0 deg minimum, and +90 max. The scope was aligned and correctly pointed to objects. The lat/long site location was correct, as well as the time setup. Satellite tracker was setup correctly with time and location, and displayed an ISS pass correctly (time, az, and alt correct) as it passed overhead.

When it did start to slew (before the slew limit warning), it was actually slewing away from where it should have been pointing. Seems like both Satellite tracker and the scope are setup correctly, but don't play well together.

Any thoughts on what I can look at?

Thanks,

Chris

Offline John Eccles

• Administrator
    • Satellite Tracker
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2014, 07:45:52 AM »
I searched the Yahoo Messages and came up with the following information:

Group: satellitetracker   Message: 2786   From: John   Date: 4/22/2008
Subject: Re: Celestron?

--- In satellitetracker@yahoogroups.com, "bill_lombardo_bill" wrote:
>
> Help me if you can: I'm a new owner of a Nexstar 8 SE on altazimuth
> mount. Does it support satellite tracking in continuous or leapfrog
> mode? The PC has to be connected to the Keypad bottom serial port?

Answer:
I've used continuous mode with my 8SE. I chose the "NexStarGPS
Continuous Tracking" and "Alt-Az" options.

And yes, connection goes from the PC serial port to the connection on
the bottom of the handset.

--John

I hope this helps.
Regards, John Eccles, Owner of Satellite Tracker Application, the Satellite Tracker Forum, and the Yahoo Groups called Satellite Tracker

Offline Chris Epple

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2014, 01:01:09 PM »
Hi John,

Thanks for finding that. I searched around a bit and didn't come up with that post. I'll give the NexstarGPS selection a try and see if that works any better. Hopefully the current hand controller firmware works the same way as that poster's firmware version back in 2008.

Thanks again!

Chris

Offline Brad Feinner

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2016, 02:49:57 PM »
I know this is old, but I have a comment about it + a problem of my own. I've been using Satellite Tracker (STr) with Nexstar 8" SE for about 7 years with no problems at all until now.

Regarding this thread: I saw no mention in previous posts that NexRemote must be used. That's the only way I've ever done it, and as far as I know, it is necessary. It sounded like the user was maybe just connecting computer to scope, selecting a protocol, and trying to track. The alignment must be done using Nexremote. It doesn't matter if the scope has been aligned via the HC. If anyone is still reading this, be sure to align in this way, then it should all work.

My problem: I recently was using STr v2.4.8 when it suddenly stopped working. I saw that Nexremote was displaying "No Response" (followed by a number which I think was 16). I rebooted, but it still failed. It would work for a little while, then No Response. I thought the protocol may have somehow been changed, so I tried all the Nexstar ones with no success. After all that, I couldn't remember for sure which one I'd been using all those years. I think it was NexstarGPS Continuous Tracking, but I'm not positive of that. It had always done continuous tracking with no problems. More recently, tracking stops and I get a pop-up that says something about "Unable to obtain GPS telescope position." That's not exactly what it says, but close.

Questions:

1. Any insights as to what is causing these failures? I don't know if the pop-ups are coming from STr or Nexremote. Maybe knowing that would be a clue. Sometimes when I get the GPS pop-up, I can click OK and start tracking again, but sometimes not.

2. Is NexstarGPS Continuous Tracking the protocol I should use with this scope? The other ones say "leap frog only" or "stops at the meridian". I've always had continuous tracking, and not stopping at the meridian.

It still works for a while each time I use it, then fails after a few minutes. Any help with this greatly appreciated.

Offline Marcel Kukuricas

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2016, 12:36:38 PM »
Hello every body,

Im new at this fantastic forum. Yes fantastic, because I have learned to much about Nexstar SE series. and for few months ago I bouhgt 6SE. Great machine, really. For few weeks i try to look at so many beauties on skies, great!

But now Im trying to track satellites through Satellite tracker. So I hope that I can use this forum to find some answers with your help.

I set my soft: windows10 - satellite tracker - HW virtual serial port - ASCOM platform - EQMODLX.

But result is this.

http://www.imagehosting.cz/?v=errorwpw.jpg

Please, is there anybody who knows what can I do with this issue? Im sorry for my question, but I have no idea. Maybe somedy have this problem too.

Thank you and have a nice day/clear sky :)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 04:18:28 PM by Marcel Kukuricas »

Offline John Eccles

• Administrator
    • Satellite Tracker
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2016, 05:30:06 PM »
Marcel,

In the photo I see you have the Satellite Tracker program configured for Meade LX200GPS which is correct when using your setup as described. If you are using the Nexstar 8SE you could select the Telescope listed as NexstarGPS Continuous Tracking and select Alt-Az under the Telescope - Interface Protocol drop down menu and using the PC serial port to the connection on the bottom of the handset.

Also, I would set your Site #1 Lat/Long a little more accurately - like to three decimal places. Also, it is important that your time be accurate as well.

John
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 10:16:07 AM by John Eccles »

Offline Marcel Kukuricas

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2016, 04:04:52 PM »
Hi,

Thanks for advice. But I have tried all possibilities under Interface protocol menu :(

I found one difference in my setup and in youtube manual

My set here

http://www.imagehosting.cz/?v=ascommenu.jpg

and manual at 2:07

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeJOIh2C3V0

I use inaccurate data about location, because I have only tested my mount (without OTA)...its direction and slew speed etc.

Im still helpless  :o