Author Topic: Mount supported? HEQ5 Series mounts with Synscan handheld remote  (Read 6957 times)

Offline Don Smith

• Welcome to the Satellite Tracker Forum
Hey. Does this software work with the heq5 series with the synscan handheld remote. have virtual com and eqmodlx apparently working but the sat track will not communicate with the mount.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 06:39:08 PM by John Eccles »

Offline John Eccles

• Owner of Satellite Tracker and Yahoo Satellite Tracker
  • Administrator
    • Satellite Tracker
Mount supported? HEQ5 Series mounts with Synscan handheld remote
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 06:37:32 PM »
Don,

On a previous email to you I directed you to the following information:

You can get more information on getting Satellite Tracker to run your telescape via the Yahoo Groups posts via this link:

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/satellitetracker/conversations/topics/2414

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/satellitetracker/conversations/topics/4766

I will be gradually transferring these messages from the group over to my website at which point one can search for various terms to locate information. But right now please take a look at the yahoo groups info in the links above.

Regards,

John Eccles

« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 06:39:22 PM by John Eccles »
Regards, John Eccles, Owner of Satellite Tracker Application, the Satellite Tracker Forum, and the Yahoo Groups called Satellite Tracker

Offline Len Ward

Re: Mount supported? HEQ5 Series mounts with Synscan handheld remote
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 09:44:46 AM »
Hi;

I have tried the links provided and I have searched yahoo groups for "satellite tracker" but I have not found it. Has the group been terminated? If so can I get the info to use sat tracker with the synscan mount?

Offline John Eccles

• Administrator
    • Satellite Tracker
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 11:12:47 AM »
If you click on the links in the post above it will take you to the Yahoo Group's message stream containing a series of posts discussing your mount and how to use it with the Satellite Tracker software. The Yahoo group is still active for the time being. In order to see these messages you have to be signed into the Yahoo group. If you are not a member then you can sign up and I will approve you. I have been working on moving all of the messages to the Satellite Tracker website but this is taking longer than expected since the new website is still under construction.

Regards,

John Eccles

Update: October 21, 2014 - One cannot join the Yahoo Group anymore as I have disabled it.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 09:31:15 PM by John Eccles »
Regards, John Eccles, Owner of Satellite Tracker Application, the Satellite Tracker Forum, and the Yahoo Groups called Satellite Tracker

Offline Nalin Uduwawala

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 04:32:26 PM »
Hi John,

I also tried to get to the satellite tracker yahoo group but to no avail. Also the link from your web site to the yahoo group fails as well . I am a Yahoo group member and logged in to yahoo groups. It doesn't help.

But for the benefit of Len I give some information. He should try EQMODLX and HW groups'  (http://www.hw-group.com/products/hw_vsp/hw_vsp2_en.html) Virtual serial port software together to get a eq5 to work. There is a good ( if incomplete) youtube video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeJOIh2C3V0)  by the great Chris Shillito of the EQ mod group. If he follows the video he can go a fair distance.

I am desperately trying to get it to simulate a satellite pass on Stellarium using the methods described by Chris. I am failing on two counts. One I am being stumped by a limits message from Satellite tracker. But I will have to persevere as there is not much more information out there that I can use. So have to depend on my own steam from here on.

Hope this helps.
Nalin.

Offline John Eccles

• Administrator
    • Satellite Tracker
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2014, 09:35:24 PM »
Nalin,

I just tried the link from my website http://www.heavenscape.com/ via the link called: "Discussion Group" and the link works okay. I tried in on two different computers and both work okay. So I am not sure why the link you use does not work.

John

Offline Flavio Giavarni

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2014, 11:08:58 AM »
I can confirm the Len and Nalin position, the Satellite tracking group is not available. It reports "You need to be a member to perform this action" probably the people already registered can access to it but not the others.

By the way, my HEQ5 Pro seems to work well with this long sw chain (Stellarium, EQMODLX, etc. ) but... when the satellite is high in the sky I have not enough accuracy. Untill now I can exclude it's matter of slewing speed, I mean mechanical speed.

Flavio
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 11:26:04 AM by Flavio Giavarni »

Offline Jim OConnor

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2015, 08:30:44 AM »
There is a feature of the motor controller card in the Synta mounts (HEQ5, EQ6, Orion Sirius, Orion Atlas, et al.) that impedes adjusting rates for the fast moving/low flying satellites if they get close to zenith.  When the rate change command is sent by Satellite Tracker through the EQMODLX interpreter, the mount controller first stops the mount movement, imposes the new rate, and restarts the track movement.  For rapid changes when passes of low flyers like the ISS are high in elevation, the rate changes are coming so fast that the mount controller firmware gets in its own way.  When the update imposition starts to lag, Satellite Tracker will try to get the mount to catch up.  This happens until the stepper motors can't keep up and there will be a large clatter and eventually tracking changes will cease, but the mount may now be moving at a high rate in one or both axes, or it may be stopped dead.  At times I've had to go into the EQMOD main window and reselect sidereal tracking rate to gain control of the mount. 

As far as I know, only Thierry Legault has successfully updated the firmware in the motor controller card to remove the stop/start element of the rate change so that the rate changes can be instantaneously imposed.  If the ISS maximum elevation is below about 70 degrees, I've had successful full tracking for the whole pass, but for the higher elevation passes, it comes clattering to a stop.

Jim O'Connor
South Rim Coordinator
Grand Canyon Star Party
gcsp@tucsonastronomy.org

Offline Jason Berkers

Re: Mount supported? NEQ6 Series mounts with Synscan handheld remote
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2016, 04:07:46 PM »
i just joined this group, after watching chris shillito on youtube using eqmodlx and ST. im having problems setting up everything using virtual serial port. can you please walk me thru this.  its crazy frustrating? thank u thank u