Author Topic: LX200 Classic annoying beeps during tracking  (Read 3381 times)

Offline John Eccles

• Owner of Satellite Tracker and Yahoo Satellite Tracker
  • Administrator
    • Satellite Tracker
LX200 Classic annoying beeps during tracking
« on: April 21, 2014, 06:05:43 PM »
Mike Price of San Diego, California writes:

I am writing because Brent had posted on the old heavenscape web site some instructions for modifying the LX200 keypad to disable the annoying beep during tracking.  I have a worn out printout but is it possible to re-enable the page for those of is still using the LX200 classic?

Thanks,
Mike Price
San Diego, CA

I have sent an email to Brent about this and am awaiting his response.
Regards, John Eccles, Owner of Satellite Tracker Application, the Satellite Tracker Forum, and the Yahoo Groups called Satellite Tracker

Offline Dick Seymour

• Welcome to the Satellite Tracker Forum
Re: LX200 Classic annoying beeps during tracking
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2014, 06:51:16 PM »
The beeper in a Classic handbox is a single component driven by a single stage of a 74LS14 and Vcc.

If you open the handbox, the beeper is the cylindrical object just above the handbox cable connector.
Flip the circuit board over and desolder the beeper.  Done.
A slightly less difficult method is to cut the trace between pin 6 of U6 (the 74LS14, immediately "above" the beeper) and the beeper's "non +" pin.
You could put a switch across your cut (allowing re-enabling the beeper), or just solder a wire to jump your cut for more permanent restoration.

Attachments: two versions of the Classic LX200's handbox schematic, and an image of the component layout on the circuit board.

good luck
--dick

Offline Barry Brown

• Welcome to the Satellite Tracker Forum
Re: LX200 Classic annoying beeps during tracking
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2016, 07:00:15 PM »
I just unplug the controller when using Sat Tracker. It's not needed when under computer control.

Not the best solution, but works well enough.