Author Topic: Current Telescope Pointing Coordinate Read-out  (Read 1720 times)

Offline Marissa Ruiz

• Welcome to the Satellite Tracker Forum
Current Telescope Pointing Coordinate Read-out
« on: March 07, 2016, 08:53:20 PM »
Hello,

I recently used Satellite Tracker to track an ISS pass using a Celestron CPC 1100 telescope (success, saw it in the eyepiece).  What I am looking to get is a log of where in the sky my telescope is pointing over the time period of my observation of the pass, either in alt/az or ra/dec coordinates. I do not need to know where the ISS actually is or where the TLE predicts it to be but rather the position the center of my field of view (my project involves calculating the accuracy/error in my tracking system, which I can verify by comparing the position of the center of field of view to the actual ISS position at the time).  I know that Satellite Tracker doesn't currently log the pointing of the telescope during the tracking period, but I do know that under the Start/Stop Tracking Button, there are RA and DEC fields, and the Satellite Tracker manual indicates "If everything is working well and the satellite is above the horizon, the R.A. Tracking and Dec. Tracking boxes will continuously show the values at which the telescope is pointing."  Does this mean that these fields display the RA/DEC coordinates of the actual telescope pointing given by the mount, or are these simply the TLE predictions?  Thank you!

Best,
Marissa

Offline John Eccles

• Owner of Satellite Tracker and Yahoo Satellite Tracker
  • Administrator
    • Satellite Tracker
Re: Current Telescope Pointing Coordinate Read-out
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 11:28:01 PM »
Marissa,

The RA and DEC fields under the Tracking Button represent the actual RA/DEC coordinates that are sent to the mount and not given by the mount. Of course, these RA/DEC coordinate values are the result of immediate calculations based on the TLE data set. I am assuming that you have selected "LX200 Compatible" for the telescope interface.
Regards, John Eccles, Owner of Satellite Tracker Application, the Satellite Tracker Forum, and the Yahoo Groups called Satellite Tracker

Offline Marissa Ruiz

• Welcome to the Satellite Tracker Forum
Re: Current Telescope Pointing Coordinate Read-out
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2016, 08:41:48 AM »
Okay, that is not exactly what I'm looking for since I want the actual telescope pointing but thank you!  Would the "real" telescope pointing by chance be available in one of the log files? The manual indicates the existence of a file called obslog.dat and states "This is a proprietary format ASCII file used by Satellite Tracker to log the information about observing sessions. It is best handled by the program for adding items and displaying the contents." I actually have selected Nexstar GPS continuous tracking, as suggested by the manual for the Celestron CPC. 

Marissa