Author Topic: Logitech Joystick and Logitech Profiler  (Read 5886 times)

Offline Jimmy Andrews

• Welcome to the Satellite Tracker Forum
Logitech Joystick and Logitech Profiler
« on: April 27, 2014, 08:24:58 PM »
Logitech Joystick and Logitech Profiler
Revision 20140831-1920

You can setup and test the following without connecting to a telescope.
This procedure will map/assign 2 buttons and D-Pad to send keyboard "ENTER", "TABS" and "Left Mouse Click".
Eliminating the need to bounce back and forth from eyepiece and laptop.

This setup allows you to send Timing Offset Increments Fine-x24 or Fine from joystick buttons.
Fine-x24 is the Fine increment sent about 24 times per second on my laptop.  This will probably vary from PC to PC.
Normal unmodified Joystick sends Fine increments at about 3 increments per second.

This setup also allows you to send Alignment Adjustment Increments Up/Down-x24 or Normal from joystick buttons.
Up/Down-x24 is the Normal increment sent about 21 times per second on my laptop.  This will probably vary from PC to PC.
Normal unmodified Joystick sends Normal increments at about 3 increments per second.

Before I realized that the free Logitech Profiler would map joystick buttons to keyboard keystrokes, I had downloaded
"Total Game Control" $20.00? which seemed to work on Logitech and other brand Joysticks.
For non-Logitech Joysticks, do a Google search for something like "game controller button mapping software"

Overview:

Here is a dry run of what we want the Joystick to do for us while we are looking through the eyepiece.
Eliminating the need to bounce back and forth from eyepiece and laptop.

Start Satellite Tracker and make sure the ''ISS Monitor'' window on right side is open.
If not then click the ''ISS Monitor'' button at top right.
You should see the ''Alert when visible'' check-box at bottom right.

Click the ''Alert when visible'' check-box at bottom right.
  Joystick button 3 will be mapped below for ''Left Mouse Click''

If the ISS is above the horizon and you have not started tracking,
Each time I click ''Alert when visible'' (button 3), I get a popup box saying ''Start tracking ....''
Pressing "ENTER" or (button 5) clears popup.
A fix to this is to start tracking before you click the ''Alert when visible'' check-box at bottom right.  (Button 1)

Available speeds
Delay Coarse
Delay Fine
Advance Coarse
Advance Fine
Alignment Up
Alignment Down

We will use Logitech Profiler and add the following higher speeds
Delay Fine-x24
Advance Fine-x24
Alignment Up-x24
Alignment Down-x24

Click ''Alert when visible''
''Alert when visible'' is now selected.  A dotted line is around ''Alert when visible''.
Press the ''Tab'' button once and selection moves to 'Start/Stop Tracking'' button.  (1Tab)
Press ''Tab'' again and selection moves to the Timing Offset ''Delay'' button. (2Tabs)
Press ''Tab'' again and selection moves to the Timing Offset ''Advance'' button. (3Tabs)
Press ''Tab'' again and selection moves to the Timing Offset ''Advance Fine'' button. (4Tabs)

Press and release the ''Enter'' key and watch Timing Offset ''Advance Fine'' increment.
I call this the ''Advance Fine'' adjustment speed.
Press and hold down the ''Enter'' key and watch Timing Offset ''Advance Fine'' increment at a very high rate.
I call this the ''Advance Fine-x24'' adjustment speed.

Press ''Tab'' again and selection moves to the Alignment Adjustment ''UP'' button. (5Tabs)
Press ''Tab'' again and selection moves to the Alignment Adjustment ''Down'' button. (6Tabs)
Press ''Tab'' again and selection moves to the Timing Offset ''Delay Fine'' button. (7Tabs)
Press the left mouse button and the ''Alert when visible'' is now selected.  Back to our starting point for tabbing. (Button 3)

Initial profile setup:

Once you have Logitech Profiler setup, it remembers your new button mapping.
Only need to do the following once.
From then on, starting Logitech Profiler will automatically map your joystick buttons.

This is what I use in the procedure.
Logitech Wireless RumblePad 2 Hand Controller with 2 joysticks, 12 Buttons and one D-Pad
Logitech Profiler v5.10.127 Date 06/14/2010

In Profiler, select your Joystick model
Saved profile as "Satellite Tracker"
In Options->Global Profiler Settings, Selected "Apply persistent Profile"
Choose persistent profile "Satellite Tracker"

Setup these 5 new commands in Logitech Profiler

"1Enter"  Sends an "ENTER" from keyboard (will increment/decrement selected value)
"4tabs"  Sends 4 tabs from keyboard  (will tab from "Alert when visible" to Advance(fine))
"5tabs"  Sends 5 tabs from keyboard  (will tab from "Alert when visible" to UP)
"6tabs"  Sends 6 tabs from keyboard  (will tab from "Alert when visible" to DOWN)
"7tabs"  Sends 7 tabs from keyboard  (will tab from "Alert when visible" to Delay(fine))

When "Joystick Adjust" on Satellite Tracker is checked, Buttons 1,2,3 and 4 are mapped to START/STOP Tracking.
I use Button 1 to START/STOP Tracking.
I don't want to reassign Button 1.   
Buttons 3, 5 and 11 were picked because they were under free and available fingers (Your choice).

Setup Button 3 for Left Mouse Click (right hand works best for me)
Optional: Setup Button 11 for Left Mouse Click (Optional for left hand)

Assign your new commands to these buttons
Assign new command "1Enter" to button 5.
If you press button 5, ENTER will be sent from keyboard same as pressing the ENTER key on keyboard.

Assign your new commands to D-Pad(Directional Pad)/POV(Point of View)/Top Hat
W(Left)  Delay Fine is assigned to "7tabs"
E(Right) Advance Fine is assigned to "4tabs"
N(Up)    UP is assigned to "5tabs"
S(Down)  DOWN is assigned to "6tabs

If up moves satellite down or left moves satellite right.
You can switch the above 4 assignments around to match your scope.

Operation:

Starting Logitech Profiler will activate your newly assigned buttons.

Start Satellite Tracker.
Change your increment/decrement values at
OPTIONS-> Preferences
This procedure does not use "Timing Offset Increments Coarse".  Leave it as is, Default is 1.
"Timing Offset Increments Fine" to 0.01 (pick a higher value if holding down button 5 increments/decrements to slow on your setup)
"Alignment Adjustment Increments" to 1  (pick a higher value if holding down button 5 increments/decrements to slow on your setup)

Left Mouse Click "Alert when visible"  Do not move mouse off of this.  Button 3 will fail if mouse is not over "Alert when visible".
  Does not matter if checked or unchecked.  Now we know where we will start tabbing from.

Click button 3 or 11 to send a "Left Mouse Click".  This selects "Alert when visible", now we know where we will start tabbing from.
Seven tabs will move you to the DELAY(fine) button.
Press the D-Pad "W" to send those seven tabs automatically.
You now have the "Delay(fine)" button selected.
Press Button 5 to send an "ENTER" from keyboard and Delay(fine) value decrements.
Press and hold down Button 5 to send repeated "ENTER's" from keyboard and watch Delay(fine) decrement rapidly.

Want to move to ADVANCE(fine), UP, DOWN or go back to DELAY(fine)?
Click button 3 or 11 to send a "Left Mouse Click".  This selects "Alert when visible", now we know where we will start tabbing from.
Then press D-Pad W(Left/Delay), E(Right/Advance), S(Down) or N(Up) to tab to and select the proper button.
Press Button 5 to send an "ENTER" from keyboard and value will increment or decrement once.
Press and hold down Button 5 to send repeated "ENTER's" from keyboard and watch value increment/decrement rapidly.

Repeat above as needed to get satellite into FOV.

After satellite is visible in eyepiece, switch back to the joystick to control the satellite.

You can change the D-Pad mapping up, down, left and right to match your scope.  If up is down and/or left is right.
Reassign command to the correct D-Pad direction for your scope.
Reverse 4tabs and 7tabs (E-W) and/or 5tabs and 6tabs (N-S).

The above works even when "Joystick Adjust" in Satellite Tracker is unchecked.
If checked you get 3 more assignments.
Button 1,2,3 or 4  STARTs/STOPs Tracking
Left Joystick X-axis (Left/Right) is mapped to "Timing Offset Increments (Fine) seconds"
Left Joystick Y-axis (Up/Down) is mapped to "Alignment Adjustment Increments steps"

Jimmy
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 04:15:12 AM by Jimmy Andrews »

Offline Bryan Cashion

Re: Logitech Joystick and Logitech Profiler
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 12:33:12 PM »
Jimmy:  Very helpful and detailed description.  Thanks!

Bryan

Offline Keith Reynolds

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 10:32:45 AM »
Hi new here. Could you tell me which controler I need to purchase? I wiill be using Win XP.
Thanks,
Keith

Offline Jimmy Andrews

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 01:35:15 PM »
This what I use.  I only have the one joystick.

Logitech Wireless RumblePad 2 Hand Controller with 2 joysticks, 12 Buttons and one D-Pad
Logitech Profiler v5.10.127 Date 06/14/2010

The logitech Profiler (free) allows me to map Joystick buttons to keyboard "Tabs", "Enter" and "left mouse click"  allowing me to quickly move around in Satellite Tracker without looking at pc.

Jimmy

Offline John Eccles

• Owner of Satellite Tracker and Yahoo Satellite Tracker
  • Administrator
    • Satellite Tracker
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 01:20:40 PM »
I was looking for this item since I could use it for development of improvements to Satellite Tracker. Is this the unit you have at the following link?:

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Cordless-Rumblepad-Vibration-Feedback/dp/B0002XJBGE

If not, could you supply a link to the unit that you have?

John
Regards, John Eccles, Owner of Satellite Tracker Application, the Satellite Tracker Forum, and the Yahoo Groups called Satellite Tracker

Offline Jimmy Andrews

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2015, 02:34:07 PM »
That looks exactly like it

Button 1,2 and 4 starts/stops tracking
Button 3 is mapped to send a ''Left Mouse Click''
Button L5 is mapped to send ''ENTER''
If you hold down L5 multiple ''ENTER''s will be sent.

D-Pad is mapped to send 4, 5, 6 or 7 ''TABS''
Left JoyStick  controls Satellite position in eyepiece

Jimmy

Offline John Eccles

• Owner of Satellite Tracker and Yahoo Satellite Tracker
  • Administrator
    • Satellite Tracker
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2015, 11:49:55 PM »
Now it would be nice if anyone else monitoring this thread could let me know what they are using for joystick control as well.
Regards, John Eccles, Owner of Satellite Tracker Application, the Satellite Tracker Forum, and the Yahoo Groups called Satellite Tracker

Offline Marcel Kukuricas

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2017, 06:54:46 PM »

If the ISS is above the horizon and you have not started tracking,
Each time I click ''Alert when visible'' (button 3), I get a popup box saying ''Start tracking ....''
Pressing "ENTER" or (button 5) clears popup.
A fix to this is to start tracking before you click the ''Alert when visible'' check-box at bottom right.  (Button 1)

Hello,

thank you for detailed decsription of your setup. It is very very helpful, of course. I have learned to much from this.

I try to manipulate with my NexStar 6SE and it works properly, when I look at any satellite except ISS. I discover my problem when I start ISS monitor and then when I go with cursor on "Alert when visible". I use my joystick button3 to check this function. But popup is showing on EVERY check (by using button3). And this make impossible for me to use other buttons functions for aligment.

How do you work with this, please? I have no idea...I hope that anybody understand what I mean  ::)

PS: sorry for my english ;)

Offline Marcel Kukuricas

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2017, 06:22:41 PM »
Hello again,

I think that I have solved my problem described in former quote. But I have to wait for next suitable pass, and then I will do conclusion for everybody :)

But I have new problem, unfortunately  :'( my POV doesnt make any action to my scope. Other settings are work properly. TWIST send command to "Delay" and "vance" and scope move in desired directionn. But when I use POV, then scope will do nothing. And I dont know why.

PLEASE folks, is there anybody who have any idea or experience with this? I will appreciate it very very very...because Im helpless and rudderless at this moment  :'(

thank you for this forum and great people there

Offline Marcel Kukuricas

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2017, 05:31:12 PM »
Hello everybody,

all problems solved, for this time ;)

Multiple restarts & reinstals of the newest version looks like the best solutions. Ill give you feedback if there will be good pass & clear skies to test all new setups.

Have a nice day :)