Author Topic: 8SE/Evolution 8  (Read 2948 times)

Offline Bill Herron

• Welcome to the Satellite Tracker Forum
8SE/Evolution 8
« on: January 28, 2015, 12:39:44 AM »
I am interested in ISS tracking with my Celestron Next Star Evolution 8 and wonder if I can use the Satellite Tracker software to do so ?
Clear skies and of course, "Keep looking up!"
Bill

Offline John Eccles

• Owner of Satellite Tracker and Yahoo Satellite Tracker
  • Administrator
    • Satellite Tracker
Re: 8SE/Evolution 8
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 12:53:24 AM »
I looked up the evolution and the user manual is not as detailed as the user manuals for the older models like the NexStar GPS, NexStar GPS-SA, NexStar iSeries, NexStar SE Series, NexStar GT, CPC, SLT, Advanced-GT, and CGE mounts which, by the way, all use the same communications protocol. Below is a link to a discussion on the Evolution and in that discussion it mentions that the Evolution can be controlled by the serial port using the protocol used for the above mentioned telescope. So it looks like you should be able to use the Nexstar mount selection in Satellite Tracker to drive the evolution via the serial port. I do not have an Evolution mount to prove that this will work. If you can email me the communications protocol for the serial port for the Evolution that would give me something to verify my statement.

http://www.cloudynights.com/topic/458024-celestron-nexstar-evolution/page-34
Regards, John Eccles, Owner of Satellite Tracker Application, the Satellite Tracker Forum, and the Yahoo Groups called Satellite Tracker