Author Topic: Satellite Tracker Version 2.6.1 (Beta)  (Read 8029 times)

Offline Kent Reinhard

• Welcome to the Satellite Tracker Forum
Satellite Tracker Version 2.6.1 (Beta)
« on: January 13, 2015, 10:48:43 AM »
John,  thanks for the continued work on the software.  I installed the new compiled version hoping it would fix the problem I have with my laptop overlaying the ground track of ISS on the alignment buttons.  In this new version when I turn on the ISS monitor it places the ground track over the alignment buttons again but this new version will not redraw them when I turn the monitor off.  On the 2.5.1 version it would at least redraw the buttons when it turn the ISS monitor off.   I am running a Lenovo L540 laptop with Windows 7.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 01:16:49 AM by John Eccles »

Offline John Eccles

• Owner of Satellite Tracker and Yahoo Satellite Tracker
  • Administrator
    • Satellite Tracker
Re: Satellite Tracker Version 2.6.1 (Beta)
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2015, 02:56:41 PM »
Yes, I do see that sometimes when I leave the Satellite Tracker application on a very long time. I have run it overnight and for several days and I never saw it and then, at other times, I ran it for, say, 12 hours or so and it appears. It initially appears as random tracks in green within the window along with the real track in white. I have been trying to figure out why it is doing that. I've tried running the debugger and it never happens. The ground tracks in white are not supposed to fall outside the ISS Monitor window and this seems to be behaving. It is the green tracks that appear at random and eventually fall outside the window and these are the ones causing the problem. I will continue looking into that and hopefully will find out why it is doing that. So you also see this with version 2.5.1? I have not seen it with that version so I thought it was something I introduced into 2.6.1. So at least I know it is not something that I did during the changeover to the new compiler and the modularization. I will try running 2.5.1 for a very long time to see if I can get it to happen. Thanks for letting me know about this.

Update: The problem appears even quicker if you OPEN a TLE file. That's a clue I will work on.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 01:17:04 AM by John Eccles »
Regards, John Eccles, Owner of Satellite Tracker Application, the Satellite Tracker Forum, and the Yahoo Groups called Satellite Tracker

Offline Kent Reinhard

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2015, 03:52:48 PM »
This error first showed up on version 2.5.1 when I started with a new computer.  My older Dell did not have this problem with 2.5.1.  Switching to the newer Lenovo L540 has always produced this graphical error.  In the 2.5.1 version when I close the ISS monitor window the ground track disappears but returns when I turn the ISS monitor back on and places it over the buttons.  In 2.6.1 I get the same error but the ground track does not go away when the close the ISS monitor.  The ground track image stays over the button all the time.  This always happens whether the programs is first running or has been on for a long time.  I am including a screen capture of the program.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 01:17:18 AM by John Eccles »

Offline John Eccles

• Administrator
    • Satellite Tracker
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2015, 04:26:01 PM »
I misunderstood completely what you were describing. I am glad you included a picture. I have not seen this problem before. So I guess you all probably have not seen the problem I have seen. The problem I have seen is that there are sometimes green tracks that shoot out of the ISS tracking window and splash all over the remainder of the GUI. Closing and Opening the ISS Monitor window does not eliminate the splashed green tracks throughout the GUI once they occur. This occurs very randomly and not that often and has been hard to catch.

The problem you are showing me is telling me that there is something wrong with the screen setup you are using and may have something to do with it. These are some of the things you can do if you come across a problem. Do a search of the Yahoo Groups messages (8088 of them) using the keywords ISS Monitor. I just did that and this problem was reported in message number 983, 993 and 994 and was caused by the use of Large Fonts.

Also see message 7680 and 7744 although there wasn't any response to this observation..
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 01:17:30 AM by John Eccles »
Regards, John Eccles, Owner of Satellite Tracker Application, the Satellite Tracker Forum, and the Yahoo Groups called Satellite Tracker

Offline Jeff Hammond

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2015, 11:13:42 AM »
John asked me to post this here.....

Not sure if this is what your were seeing with the new build 2.61. I also get weird track errors if I load a new TLE file to process. I've attached a couple of jpg's that show the problem.

If I close the program & restart. The display of tracks is good until I load a different tle. Hope this helps!!

Jeff Hammond

His response back below with my answers:

1.  How long did you run the app before your changed TLE's

A:  2 minutes

2.  What TLE files are you using when this problem occurred?

A:  I attached a zip of the tle's from space-track.org. These were downloaded using the Download TLE button

3.  Are you sure your TLE file is in the correct format? There are two line and three line TLE files and this app uses 3 line TLE's. You can tell by looking at the actual file with notepad.

A:  See TLE Files.zip attached to this post

4.  Do you see this problem with version 2.5.1, 2.5.0, or 2.4.9d?

A:  No

5.  What version of Windows are you running?

A:  8.1 See attack System Spec. This NB has a Intel 4600 & Nvidia 960M Graphics

6.  Try using a fresh set of TLE data just to be sure your current one's are not corrupt.

A:  First thing I did was to delete the tle's & download again. No Go!

Please send me the TLE files that you used that has caused this problem and I will run them to see if I can duplicate what you are seeing.

A:  See attached TLE Files.zip

If you need anymore info, let me know...

Jeff Hammond

Offline John Eccles

• Administrator
    • Satellite Tracker
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2015, 12:20:42 PM »
Since I am in the process of moving from Cheraw, SC to Warrenville, SC I am unable to troubleshoot the problem at this time. I suggest you abandon the use of version 2.6.1 and revert to the version 2.5.1 since version 2.5.1 is the last official release. Version 2.6.1 is a beta release and has been put out to the general membership as per the release notes. I do appreciate the feedback you have provided. Also, I have not tested this application using Windows 8.1 since I do not have a computer with that OS. If you have a Windows 7 computer and you have the time please try it on Windows 7 to see if you have the same problem.

Offline Jeff Hammond

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2015, 02:14:02 PM »
John

I no longer have any Xp, Vista, or Win7 machines. 8.1 & 10 are all I have.

Jeff Hammond

Offline John Eccles

• Administrator
    • Satellite Tracker
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2015, 11:03:39 PM »
I won't be tackling any testing using Win 8.1 or Win 10 since I have already tried using those OS's and I almost threw the computer in the garbage because of the difficulty and bad experience using them. Maybe one day I will get over it but I have a deep distaste for those OS's.

Offline Jeff Hammond

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2015, 10:14:19 PM »
John

I wasn't a  big fan of Win 8.1 either. But I got use to it.

Not sure when you tried Win10. It's much closer to Win7 then 8.1. If your a desktop user the change from Win7 to Win10 is small. I actually like Win10 better then Win7 now. As I'm testing 10, I can tell you that in the last 2 weeks things have cleaned up a lot. Very stable and the features are more complete. I'm hearing that there are maybe 1 or 2 more builds before RTM. The new windows will never really be finished with updates coming monthly after RTM. So instead of "Patch Tuesdays" we will have "Feature Tuesdays".  ;-)

Win10 will be what Win7 was after Vista. A very good and needed upgrade. Cortana is awesome, if you could hook into her with a nice Bluetooth device of your choice. We could control Satellite Tracker using Cortana. Would be very nice..

Just my rambling thoughts....

Jeff Hammond

Offline John Eccles

• Administrator
    • Satellite Tracker
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2015, 11:21:48 PM »
Thank you Jeff for the insight. I tried Win 8 but it seems to be oriented to a touch screen type display. It was hard to navigate on non touch screen displays when one is used to Win XP and then transitioning to Win 7 and then moving on to Win 8. I was very frustrated with Win 8 trying to find my way around. I just didn't have the time to figure it out. It got so bad that I almost threw the laptop against the wall. At that point I just took it back to Best Buy and returned it. I haven't tried Win 10 yet as I have been fairly busy with other tasks. If I upgrade to Win 10 on my Win 7 machine and find it unwieldy then I am afraid I won't be able to get back to familiar ground with Win 7. Also, I have many applications and it is my understanding that, for these applications, the drivers are not available yet. This was the same problem with Win 8. I figure why torture myself with Win 8 (and possibly with Win 10) when it ain't broke with Win 7. I don't like the touch screen and I don't have any computers with touch screens. I may look into Win 10 to see if I can configure it to look like Win 7. The drivers are the part that is going to give me trouble though.

Offline Hartwig Luethen

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2016, 03:44:19 PM »
I see exactly that problem on Win7, 64bit
Hartwig

Offline Hartwig Luethen

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2016, 04:50:40 PM »
Just checked it: It only occurs if the Desktop symbols are increased in size to 125%. At 100% it is just fine. (Win7/64, Intel HD 3000 card).

Hartwig